Colorado Springs Veterans Day Parade cancelled
Organizers of the Colorado Springs Veterans Day Parade have cancelled the event, originally scheduled for Saturday, November 7, due to COVID-19.
Art fundraiser benefits Alzheimer’s Association in the midst of COVID-19
COVID-19 has halted the Alzheimer’s Association’s in-person training, therapies and support groups. The organization’s biggest fundraiser, the Alzheimer’s Walk, was held virtually with a less than ideal turnout. However, the association is selling artwork created by community members suffering with dementia. Memories in the Making is a program run in most of the senior residential living communities that helps them access forgotten memories, keeps neural synapses firing and provides an alternative way of expression for those who have limited language skills. To browse and purchase artwork, visit www.pikespeakmemories.com.
Friends of the Library “Read a Book” fundraiser through December 15
To help support local libraries, Friends of Pikes Peak Library District (PPLD) is offering patrons the opportunity to help “read” a book during COVID-19. How it works: Each donation equates to reading a page. For every donation made, the donor’s name will be written on a page in the book that will be on display at the East Library Friends Bookstore. The fundraiser runs through December 15. The money raised will be used to continue to support the programs and staff of PPLD. The district hopes to have a name on every page to complete the “reading” of the book! For more information, visit www.ppld.org. Donations are tax deductible.
Fine Art Center Museum to re-open in November
The Fine Art Center (FAC) at Colorado College is actively preparing to welcome visitors back to the museum in November. While an exact opening date hasn’t been set yet, the FAC has set a course of action for reopening, which includes social distancing, mask requirements and implementation of symptom checks upon reservation and arrival. Access to the museum will be scheduled via an online reservation system. Reservations will be limited to two groups of 10 people or fewer every hour during set days to permit for increased cleaning, and pre-established time blocks for educational use of the space. At this time, the FAC’s restaurant, bar, shop and tactile gallery will remain closed. For details, visit www.fac.coloradocollege.edu
Medicare Monday virtual workshops
Colorado Gerontological Society offers free Monday and Wednesday workshops providing education on Medicare. For more information and to register, visit www.senioranswers.org or call 303-333-3482.
- November 2, 6-7:30 p.m. – Medicare Changes
- November 4 12-1:30 p.m. – Medicare & Federal Retiree Plans, VA, TriCare
- November 9, 9:30-11 a.m. – New to Medicare
- November 11, 12-1:30 p.m. – Medicare, Medicaid & Low-Income Services
- November 16, 1-2:30 p.m. – Medicare Changes
- November 18, 12-1:30 p.m. – Medicare While Still Employed
Library district senior activities
Programs will be presented online and most require registration. Visit http://www.ppld.org or call 719-389-8968 for more information.
- Genealogy Basics – November 2 & 21 at 10 a.m.
- Navajo Code Talker: Looking Through the Eyes of WWII Marine Chester Nez – November 5 at 6 p.m.
- Colorado Springs History Book Club: “Extraordinary Women of the Pikes Peak Region” – November 19 at7 p.m.
- Virtual Come Write In for National Novel Writing Month – Saturdays at 1 p.m.
- Chair Yoga – Tuesdays at 10 a.m.
- Virtual Mindful Movement and Meditation – Wednesdays at 1 p.m.
- Hooked on Crochet! – November 5 & 19 at 10 a.m.
Silver Key Meal Menu and Schedule
Silver Key Home Delivered Meals Menu
- Nov. 1 – BBQ beef sandwich, seasoned pinto beans, coleslaw, tropical fruit
Nov. 2 – Sandy’s Chicken Chile, tortilla, broccoli w/cheese, carrot raisin salad, diced pears
Nov. 3 – Beef pot pie w/biscuit, lima beans, salad w/red wine vinaigrette, apple
Nov. 4 – Vege-burger w/lettuce, tomato & onion, corn, coleslaw, banana
- Nov. 5 – Swedish meatballs w/noodles, peas & carrots, tossed salad w/Italian dressing, orange
- Nov. 6 – Southwestern chicken, peas & carrots, three bean salad, whole wheat roll, orang
- Nov. 7 – Manicotti, cauliflower, sunflower broccoli, salad, peaches, raisin nut cup
- Nov. 8 – Stuffed bell pepper, baby baker potatoes, cauliflower, carrot raisin salad, spiced peaches
- Nov. 9 – Chicken parmesan, pasta, cauliflower, tossed salad w/red wine dressing, diced pears, whole wheat roll
- Nov. 10 – Sweet & sour meatballs, Jasmine rice, tossed salad, pear
- Nov. 11 – Egg salad on whole wheat bread, tomato basil soup, tossed vegetable salad w/red wine vinaigrette, orange
- Nov. 12 – Swiss steak, mashed potatoes, peas, coleslaw, banana
- Nov. 13 – Chicken Marsala, roasted red potato, Brussel sprouts, green bean salad, apple
- Nov. 14 – Beef pot pie w/buttermilk biscuit, lima beans, salad w/red wine vinaigrette, apple
- Nov. 15 – Sandy’s Chicken Chile, tortilla, broccoli w/cheese, carrot raisin salad, diced pears
Nov. 16 – Chicken taco salad w/sour cream, salsa and avocado, corn chowder, orange
- Nov. 17 – Baked parmesan crusted salmon, sweet potatoes, broccoli, roll, strawberries
- Nov. 18 – Beef stir fry, peas, brown rice, Asian cabbage, salad and apple
- Nov. 19 – Turkey w/gravy, mashed potatoes, vegetables, roll, apple, pumpkin pie
- Nov. 20 – Pulled pork sandwich, corn, pinto beans, apple sauce
- Nov. 21 – Broccoli stuffed chicken breast, green beans, sweet potatoes, pineapple tidbits, high fiber cookie
- Nov. 22 – Sweet & sour meatballs, Jasmine rice, tossed salad, pear
- Nov. 23 – Beef fajita w/peppers, onions, cheese, sour cream and salsa, tortillas, rice, black beans, strawberries
- Nov. 24 – Chicken Piccata, pasta, winter blend vegetables, peaches, high fiber cookie
- Nov. 25 – Goulash, green beans, salad w/dressing, whole wheat bread, apple
- Nov. 26-29 – Happy Thanksgiving! Chef’s choice frozen meals delivered Nov. 25.
- Nov. 30 – Beef stew, lima beans, whole wheat roll, pineapple orange compote, milk
Silver Key Connections Café Meal Menu & Pick Up
Meals are currently “Grab and Go.” Meals must be requested in advance for the following week by calling 719-884-2300.
Mondays – Pick up frozen meals at St. Andrews Church in Manitou Springs, the Woodland Park Senior Center, Pikes Peak Towers and the Colorado Springs Senior Center.
Tuesdays – Pick up meals at Holiday Village, Centennial Plaza, Acacia Park Apartments and the Westside Community Center.
Wednesdays – Pick up meals at the Fountain Valley Senior Center, Villa Santa Maria, the Tri-Lakes Senior Center and at Silver Key.
- Nov. 9 – Sweet & sour meatballs, Jasmine rice, tossed salad, pear, milk
- Nov. 10 – Swiss steak, mashed potatoes, peas, coleslaw, banana, milk
- Nov. 11 – Chicken Marsala, roasted red potato, Brussel sprouts, green bean salad, apple
- Nov. 16 – Baked parmesan crusted salmon, sweet potatoes, broccoli, roll, strawberries, milk
- Nov. 17 – Beef stir fry, peas, brown rice, Asian cabbage, salad and apple, milk
- Nov. 18 – Turkey w/gravy, mashed potatoes, vegetables, roll, apple, pumpkin pie, milk
- Nov. 23 – Chicken Piccata, pasta, winter blend vegetables, peaches, high fiber cookie, milk
- Nov. 24 – Seasoned cod, potato medley, maple glazed carrots, banana, roll, milk
- Nov. 25 – Goulash, green beans, salad w/dressing, whole wheat bread, apple, milk